July 12-18, 2021
We have scheduled the next Gathering in 2021. Whidbey Institute has covid-safe policies: If we do go ahead, registration will probably be limited to 24 with private rooms. It is not open for registration yet. To be notified, Sign the mailing list. The prices and room choices you see below are not accurate for this year.
- Tuition is $775 and includes a generous supply of art materials, high quality morning through evening programming, an exceptionally available facilitator, and our group’s private use of the retreat facility and grounds. The Friday program runs through the afternoon and includes evening picnic dinner at the beach through sunset.
- Register by April 1, 2020 to receive the $100 early bird discount for tuition of $675
- A $300 deposit will be charged at time of registration. If you prefer to pay in full right away, you can pay the balance through the link provided with your invoice. Your Invoice will be sent by Thursday after the date of your registration.
- Final payment is due by June 12. We will resend your invoice with the amount due two weeks prior to this date.
- Your deposit is refundable through June 12, minus a $100 administrative fee.
- If you cancel after June 12 your $300 deposit is not refundable.
- If you cancel after June 28, your fees are not refundable. We would do our best to find a scholarship recipient to take your place.
Lodging Options with Room & Board Rates
We are blessed to have full use of the Chinook Retreat Center, with 106 acres of forest, hiking trails, a labyrinth and Sanctuary. You will be given first and second choice of rooms when you register. Register soon to get your first choice. On rare occasion we need to make a last minute change to accommodate the special needs of a participant. This year, you are encouraged to stay in your room or campsite on Friday night after the Gathering. You will be billed an additional $85 for this extra night, or $35 if you are camping. If you want to stay on the island after Friday night, check VRBO or Airbnb.
We describe room choices below, but you can see photos of buildings and rooms here.
This is closest to our main meeting hall. It is a fully renovated historic Swedish farmhouse with large front porch, kitchen and beautiful living room. Walk upstairs for all bedrooms. Two full and one half bathrooms serve all who stay here.
Private Farmhouse Very small but special rooms: $775 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax
Shared Farmhouse Cozy rooms to share: $695 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax. All double cabins will be single in 2021
Double Live Edge Cabins All double cabins will be single in 2021
Hand-crafted with beautiful live-edge wood detailing, these new cabins were built by the same person who built the Sanctuary. Walk outside to shared bathrooms: $695 includes meals through Friday dinner and tax.
Meadow Row Cabins
New, high-ceilinged cabins with large windows looking out on the meadow, and indoor bathrooms.
Private Meadow Row Private cabin attached to a second cabin by a shared indoor bathroom: $820 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax
Double Meadow Row Handicap accessible cabin with two beds, attached by an indoor bathroom that is shared with another double cabin: $695 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax. All double cabins will be single in 2021
The same old beloved cabins, walk outside to shared bathrooms.
Private Legacy Cabin $775 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax.The Hermitage has a double bed so could be used by a couple. Contact us to arrange this.
Double Legacy Cabin $695 includes meals through Friday dinner and tax.
All double cabins will be single in 2021
The camping meadow is edged by our cabin neighborhood. Bring your tent, sleeping bag and pad. Camper vehicles are not allowed in the meadow. Share bathrooms with cabins: $450 includes meals through Friday dinner & tax.
It is possible to stay offsite. All meals are included with offsite fee. Be aware that we have evening sessions: $375 includes meals through Friday dinner and tax plus a facilities use fee.
All double cabins will be single in 2021
||Tuition (Includes Materials)||Extended Final Pricing after 4/01/2018||Price w/ $100 Early Bird Discount by 4/01/2018|
|Private Cabin w/In-House Bath (One bath for two people)||$820.||$775.||$1,595.||$1,495.|
|Double Cabin w/ In-House Bath (One bath for four people)||$695.||$775.||$1,470.||$1,370.|
|Double Live Edge Cabin with walk to shared bathrooms||$695.||$775.||$1,470.||$1,370.|
|Legacy Private Cabin with walk to shared bathrooms||$775.||$775.||$1,550.||$1,450.|
|Legacy Double Cabin with walk to shared bathrooms||$695.||$775.||$1,470.||$1,370.|
Room & Board fees include Monday July 12 afternoon snack through Saturday July 17 picnic dinner at the beach. You are invited to Deborah’s home in Langley for a simple oatmeal breakfast with coffee & tea on Sunday morning July 18. We can’t guarantee an extra night stay at Whidbey institute Saturday – will know later.
Delicious, home cooked, healthy meals prepared by our Whidbey Institute chef are a memorable part of the experience. She offers the freshest ingredients, highlighting organic produce from regional and on-site gardens. Most of her meals are gluten and dairy free. She graciously honors unique dietary needs. Be sure to include these on your registration form. She and her team radiate love in all they do. More about our chef and meals.
Whidbey Island is 30 miles north of Seattle, Washington, with a twenty-minute ferry ride from Mukilteo to Clinton. There are now two airports to choose from. A new airport very close to Whidbey just opened, Everett PAE. Include it in your search, especially if you are flying from the west coast or the southwest. More details on this option in a link within your confirmation email. The major airport is SEATAC International Airport. Without traffic, it is about a 50 minute drive to the ferry from the airport. If you are not renting a car, use Whidbey Seatac Shuttle. It takes you onto the ferry and continues on the island. Get off at the Langley/Clinton stop, which is close to the Center. You can share a local taxi with other Gatherers for the five minute drive to the retreat center. Detailed travel information will be included with confirmation of your registration. Please note that there is a new small airport called Everett/ Paine Field. It is about 10 minutes from the Ferry. You would have to take a taxi from the airport to the ferry, walk on the ferry and then call the local taxi to get you to Chinook Center at Whidbey Institute. More about travel options and arrival.
Important Timing Information – Read Before Reserving a Flight
• Arrive on Sunday, July 12: You can arrive at the center as early as 2pm to relax and begin connecting to the land and people. If you arrive earlier, we will happily accept your help with set-up as of noon. The dining room will be a creative space for making name tags and decorating your drawing folder during the afternoon. We gather for dinner at 5:30pm. The opening session begins at 6:30pm.
• We close the final official session at 3:00 pm on Saturday, July 17, and include a picnic dinner at the beach that evening. NOTE EXPANDED SCHEDULE and different days of arrival and departure. If you must depart on Saturday, please do not plan to leave before 3:00pm. If you need to catch a plane on Saturday, the earliest flight you could make is 6:30pm. A 3:10pm shuttle will get you to the airport by 5:00pm. If you stay for dinner at the beach, we can drive you to the 8:10pm shuttle, which arrives at the airport at 9:30pm, in time for a red-eye flight. The shuttle can also drop you at any airport motel to catch an early flight on Sunday.
• Add an optional Saturday night stay. We can’t guarantee an extra night stay at Whidbey institute Saturday – we will know later. if this is available, you can relax on the beach through the late sunset. A fee of $85 for one more night in your room or $35 if you are camping, will be added to your invoice. On Sunday morning, you are invited to come for a simple breakfast on Deborah’s front porch in Langley. After that you can walk around the seaside village and explore the shops, cafes and beach. This extra time allows for integration, relaxation and fun. The local taxi can take you to the scheduled shuttle.
• If you want to stay on Whidbey Island before or after the Gathering, search VRBO or Airbnb. Reserve early as summer weekends fill. Most place request a two night stay in the summer. Clinton, Langley and Freeland are the towns on the south end of the island. Local taxi service is available to get you to the airport shuttle at any time. Please note that ride share programs like Lyft and Uber are not available on Whidbey Island. You can also rent a car in Clinton to get around the island. We send more details on travel with confirmation of your registration.
We are happy to answer any questions. Call us at 360-221-5745 or email@example.com
|Scholarship Fund Whether you can join us this year or not, please consider contributing to our scholarship fund. You can help make it possible for someone without financial resources to attend. We are particularly interested supporting younger people who are developing careers in creative facilitation to attend. This is how Touch Drawing will live into the future! Any amount is so appreciated. If you would like a tax deduction, we can arrange for you to make a charitable donation through Whidbey Institute. Contact us if you prefer this approach.